I love this extremely easy chili recipe. It's loaded with protein and fiber, but I make it because it's delicious. There are many ways to serve it: over rice, alongside corn bread (I will post that recipe next!), on top of tortilla chips. Toppings can include diced red onion, a dollop of sour cream, or a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese.
Like the lentil soup recipe, it tastes even better the day after you make it, once the spices have marinated together overnight.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- ½ package Yves meatless ground round (the package is 12 oz., so 6 oz.)
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- dijon mustard
- salt, pepper
- Saute onion until soft and opaque. Add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer onion & garlic saute into a large stockpot, then add beans, tomatoes, and soy meat over medium heat.
- The remaining spices are all to taste, but start with approximately 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon each of chili powder and mustard.
- Cover with stockpot lid and continue heating on medium heat until boil, then turn off.
- Then get your chili on!